Creating Precious Memories through Scrapbooking: The Case of the Intimidating Layout


Creating Precious Memories through Scrapbooking

A journey through pregnancy / infant loss to healing through the art therapy of scrapbooking.

The Case of the Intimidating Layout

My friends and I have been getting together on a semi regular basis now to scrapbook. It helps me to get out of the house and gives me an excuse to actually work on my albums. I am so pleased with the way my scrapbooking skills are growing and changing. I only started my first layout not even a year ago even though I have been gathering supplies for years. Heck, I was not even interested in scrapbooking until I lost Zackery. And then, that is when I started to collect supplies and tools.
I was frightened to get started on my own but felt uncomfortable going to crops with others that would be scrapping happy moments in their lives. I wanted a space where I would be comfortable with others seeing his pictures, where they would be ok if I ended up crying.
I was attending a local pregnancy / infant loss group one night and it was announced a new scrapbooking group was being started just for our kind of losses. I was ecstatic! Finally a place where I could actually go and be comfortable with everything.
After several months, and meeting several great angel moms, the group was on hiatus for the summer. When the startup date loomed in the near futur, I started to post the information for the group everywhere I could think of. I was sure there would be others that were interested. Unfortunately, 3 months later and myself the only one attending, the group was canceled. I was heartbroken but was not discouraged. I know there are others out there in my area that are wanting to scrapbook about their loss, I just have to find them.
For Zackery's first page, I knew I wanted to use his actual footprints somehow. And what a better way to highlight his footprints than make them the center image on vellum over the poem:

Little Footprints

How very softly
you tiptoed into my world.
Almost silently,
only a moment you stayed.
But what an imprint
your footprints have left
Upon my heart

-D. Ferguson

The right image is one of the pictures of Zackery's little feet showing his super long toes. The left says:
Date: May 3, 2003
Time: 4:44 pm
Weight: 7 lbs 10 oz.
Length: 20.5"

And while I am not 100% happy with the page, it was my springboard to start into scrapbooking. Its not such a scary venture anymore!

Labels: , , ,

« Home | Next »

3 Comments:

At May 16, 2008 at 10:06 AM, Blogger AlexandrasMom said...

Diane,
Thanks so much for visiting Alexandra's site and I love the thought of her and Zackery hanging out together!! Keep an eye on the mail ok?!

 
At May 18, 2008 at 7:20 AM, Blogger Ter said...

Like I've said before, I sure wish we lived closer, we have so much in common! I, too, have been collecting scrapbooking stuff for years, but have not really started it. I did start a first page for my daughter's album, but I never finished it and I am not sure I like how it turned out either. Only one of my friends scrapbooks and she's always too busy for us to get together for a scrapping date!

 
At August 8, 2008 at 1:35 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

You have done a great job scrapbooking stuff for your precious son!! I find I am enjoying doing stuff like that as well.

 

Post a Comment